The school’s mission will be accomplished through the following performance objectives:
A+ Barber School offers modern education with basic and advanced theory, practical demonstrations, and real-life Barbering experiences. Our Directors and Staff will support and educate using the most up to date techniques.
Our experienced Instructors will create a learning environment using textbooks, visual aids, technology, library, demonstrations, and state of the art equipment to prepare Future Barbers with the confidence to successfully complete task taught. Each Future Barber will be taught Haircutting, Shaving, Scalp Massage, Facials, Perms, Hair Coloring, and Salon Management. Personal ethics will also be taught to perform said services on the public and work with their fellow peers. Future Barbers will take the required State written and practical examinations with confidence and obtain gainful employment in the Barbering field.
ADMISSION AND REQUIREMENTS
Barber/Styling – 1500 Clock Hours
All applicants inquiring at A+ Barber School are given a personal interview to determine interest, desire, and ability to benefit from our training. All prospective students must demonstrate knowledge of the barber industry. In the event a prospective student does not have sufficient awareness of the industry, it is the responsibility of the admissions representative to counsel the prospective student about the overall requirements necessary to be successful in the industry prior to acceptance.
Students transferring from another licensed Barber School must have official transcripts before being accepted by A+ Barber School. Hours and grades will be accepted based on the official transcript prior to any enrollment. A written and practical evaluation may be administered to place the transferring student in the area of curriculum that is needed.
• Must meet age requirement of 17 years or older
• Must have High School Diploma or its equivalency. If you have a foreign diploma, it must be translated by a recognized agency.
• Completed application, registration fee, and letter of Interest submitted and approved by the Owner and Admissions team
• Admissions interview
• Proof of ID
• Must attend student orientation prior to start date of program
*If applying for Master Educator Program, you must meet additional State requirements before acceptance.
A+ Barber School will grant equal educational opportunities and does not discriminate on the base of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law in admissions of any other activity.
Students who wish to re-enroll after withdrawing need to consult with, and must have the approval of, prior to re-enrollment, the Owner and Director.
All classes will begin every 6 weeks on a Monday unless it is a scheduled holiday, then class will begin on Tuesday. Additional class start dates will be added when needed and determined by the owner depending on the demand.
If a student wishes to change their schedule status (Full-time) they must submit the change in writing and meet with the School Director to get approval of any changes made to current schedule.
- Barber Full-Time approximately 42 weeks
- Master Educator Full-Time approximately 28 weeks
Content of Units of Instruction
Theory and Demonstration Practice
Sanitation, bacteriology, and
Laws and rules
Hair styling, (includes air waving, Finger waves, and thermal curling)
Electricity/light therapy High frequency UV/infrared
History of barbering
Honing and stropping
Personal hygiene/professiona Ethics
Semi-permanent Permanent Permanent waving and chemical relaxing
Hairpieces Full, partial, facial
A+ Barber School is open 12 months of the year on a Monday-Friday schedule. Days off due to Holidays or school closures will extend the graduation date given at enrollment. The Holiday’s recognized are as follows:
• Dr. Martin Luther King Day
• President’s Day
• Memorial Day
• Independence Day
• Labor Day
• Thanksgiving (2)
• Christmas Eve & Christmas Day
Weather And Emergency Related School Closings
In case of a weather or school related emergency, the School Director will make the decision to open later or close school for the day(s). Please make sure you have your current phone number with school staff as phone calls or text messages may be sent informing you (the student) of such changes. We will also provide changes on A+ Barber School Facebook and Instagram pages, and with the local TV stations.
The grading system will be utilized for both theory and practical testing.
A 93-100 Excellent
B 85-92 Very Good
C 75-84 Satisfactory
F 70-74 Needs improvement
All test scores must meet minimum state requirements of 75% or higher. If any test scores are below the minimum requirement, student must retest until they achieve a passing grade.
Hours Of Instruction:
Indiana state law requires a minimum of 20 hours per week with a maximum of 50 hours per week of attendance, but no more than 10 hours per day. The full-time program is 37.5 hours of attendance per week.
MASTER EDUCATOR PROGRAM
Theory and Demonstration Practice
Orientation and review of the curriculum for barber training as established in 816 IAC 1-2-8 30 50 80 Introduction to teaching
Course outline and development
ALL SOLID BLACK ATTIRE or A+ Barber School branded shirts
Shirts must cover midriff and armpits
Jewelry acceptable: wedding ring, crucifix, or barber related
Black slacks or cargo pants that must appropriately fit at the waist
All black and white closed toed and heel shoes
A+ Barber School smock (provided) or All black smock
Hair, nails, teeth, and makeup (if applicable) must be presentable before arriving each day
Black shorts must be at or below knee and must appropriately fit at the waist
Black skirts or dresses must be at or below knee
No colored clothing or shoes
No hoodies or sweatshirts
No logos, slogans, or writing on clothing
No athletic wear, leggings, or miniskirts
No holes or rips
No sunglasses or glasses not prescribed
No hat or head scarves
No sandals, slides, crocks, or any open toes or open backed shoes
Students are required to be in clean dress code before entering the school building.
MASTER EDUCATOR AND GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
Master Educator In Training Graduation Requirements:
Must be at least 18 years old
Has High School Diploma or Equivalent of a High School Education
Has a Barbering license for at least 6 months in a barber shop and subsequently completed at least 1000 hours of instructor training as a student in a barber school
Must have ACTIVE Indiana Barber License
Must pass both State Board written and practical examinations with a minimum of 75%
Has paid the fee for issuance set forth by the board
As a private institution, students and parents may obtain their own financing options. A+ Barber School does have resources and information on different finance companies available.
Student Supply Kits:
Student supply kit items are mandatory to purchase as the items are professional and will be needed during their course of studies. The items will be the property of the students, which will also be utilized after completion of their program. Full payment of student supply kit will be collected before starting of program. A+ Barber School will not be responsible for lost or stolen kit items and will be the responsibility of the student to replace missing items.
A Bookstore will be available for the student to purchase any needed or missing items.
At A+ Barber School each theory room will be supplied with whiteboards, visual aids, and seating for at least 20 students. The clinic floor will have 20 stations to accommodate patrons comfortably utilizing skills the students have learned under the supervision of Licensed Instructors. Lockers are supplied for each enrolled student which are located in the practical and theory classrooms.
SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS (SAP)
SAP is required for ALL enrolled students. Students must meet: ACADEMIC REQUIREMENT=75% cumulative grade average and ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENT=75% cumulative attendance average.
SAP evaluations are based on program hours. Students will be provided written notice of their SAP standing at the time of evaluation.
Period 1 450 Scheduled Hours
Period 2 900 Scheduled Hours
Period 3 1200 Scheduled Hours
Period 4 1500 Scheduled Hours
Status: Satisfactory, Warning, and Unsatisfactory Dismissal
Grounds For Suspension/dismissal
A+ Barber School reserves the right to suspend or dismiss a student for any reason.
- Providing false documents for admissions/Fraud
- Failure to attend classes regularly
- Breach of school rules and regulations
- Refusing to complete assignments or start/complete client ticket assignments
- Bullying on or off campus including social media sites
- Physical violence or threats of violence to another student, staff, or client
- Failure to make required contract payments
- Destruction to school property
- Possession of firearms or any weapons
- Use of or possession of illegal substances or alcohol
- Offensive language or aggressive behavior
A+ Barber School will assist every student in obtaining a career related position. It is unlawful for A+ Barber School to guarantee employment placement but will have resources available to all students.
Rules And Regulations
- Students must park in parking spaces provided in front of the building. Students can not park in handicap parking unless they have proper documentation to do so
- School phones are for emergency purposes only. You may use your personal cell phone in designated break areas at designated break times.
- Stealing or taking school property or other property is grounds for dismissal
- School administration has the right to inspect lockers at any time
- A+ Barber School will provide a locker to each attending student, but the student will be responsible to purchase a lock.
- Students must only smoke in the designated area outside of the school. No smoking at the front entrance
- Students are responsible for the cleanliness of their workstations in the theory room and on the barber floor. All tools and area must be sanitized and disinfected before and after each service. Work areas must be cleaned before clocking out at the end of the day
- Students are always required to wear smocks while clocked in
- Students must have all required tools for each service being taught or for use for client services
- No food or drinks will be permitted in the classrooms or barber floor. Water bottles with lids are acceptable
- Students must always behave in a professional manner. Unnecessary conversations, abusive language or using racial, sexual, religious slurs or references will not be tolerated and may result in termination from the program.
- Students who withdraw from A+ Barber School will have 30 days to gather any personal items or it becomes property of the school
Students must report to class each day scheduled on time. You must communicate with the School Director or Instructor if in the event you will be late. Any student not arriving within 15 minutes of scheduled start time will not be allowed to clock in or attend theory class until 1.5 hours later. Students not on time for the day will not be allowed to make up any missing time/work that day.
Family Educational Rights And Privacy Acts (Ferpa)
Under FERPA, A+ Barber School affords students who are 18 years or over or attending a postsecondary institution; access to their education records, an opportunity to seek the records amended and some control over the disclosure of information from the records.
Time Clock Policy:
A student’s personal time clock information cannot be given to another student for any reason and cannot be used by another student.
Barbering Graduation Requirements:
- Must be at least 17 years old
- Has High School Diploma or Equivalent of a High School Education
- Has completed 1500 hours of course study in theory and practical instruction in a licensed Barber School.
- Must pass both State Board written and practical examinations with a minimum of 75%
- Has paid fees set by the board for issuance of license